5 Best Projector Screen Paints in 2023
To help you decide the best projector screen paint for setting up a projector screen, I compiled a list of the top-rated projector screen paints, with Paint on Screen S1 Ultimate topping the list.
Most people often envision a background screen stand or a huge canvas wall projection screen when they think of a projector screen. Although most of us utilize backgrounds, there is a more affordable alternative.
The Paint On Screen S1 Ultimate Contrast paint is my top pick for several reasons. It is an affordable projector paint that can provide you with many features, a rare thing for a paint around its price. Additionally, it is compatible with 4K videos and pictures. It has a high gain; hence the reflected image appears bright and has high resolution.
In this review, you will find the description for each projector screen. Additionally, I have provided a thorough product review on each of them. Also, go through the buying guide if you wish to purchase something other than what is on the list.
Our Best Projector Screen Paints
- Paint On Screen S1 Ultimate Contrast (Best Overall)
- Pro Screen HD Projector (Best for FHD (1080p) Quality)
- Digital Image Screen Paint Ultra (Best Bright Projector Screen Paint)
- Digital Image HD Home Theatre (Best Budget)
- Elite Screen Chroma Flux Paint 5DS2 (Best Against Ambient Light)
Best Projector Screen Paints Reviewed
1). Overall Best: Paint On Screen S1 Ultimate Contrast
If you have a tight budget and can’t afford to buy a projection screen, the greatest solution is to paint your wall with Paint On Screen S1 Ultimate Contrast. You won’t be restricted in where you will set up your screen if you buy this product. You may make your projector screen by painting on any flat surface, even a window.
With S1, you can create a screen virtually anywhere and show images in HD resolution. You may paint the entire wall and make your projection screen as big as you wish. Alternatively, you may paint a smaller one to save some room.
You may project any media onto the painted surface with S1 Ultimate Contrast, including movies, pictures, and presentations. Additionally, electrical connections and wiring are not a concern.
The solution from Paint on Screen offers a gain of 1.5, so your screen will be a little brighter than usual. With this paint, there is a neutral color shift, and you may view media with a resolution of up to 4k HD. No extra preparation is required when applying this paint because it works so well on drywall.
Paint Colour: Greyish-Silver
Gain value: 2.0
Resolution: 1080p (4K compatible)
Volume: 1 gallon
- This paint offers a 2.0 gain.
- It has a maximum viewing angle of 160 degrees.
- It produces a sharp, high-quality picture.
- You will need a primer alongside this paint.
- The price is high.
When you apply this paint, you’ll receive dependable, exact results immediately on the surface. Additionally, the viewing angle is up to 160 degrees, allowing everyone to observe the image’s quality.
2). Best for FHD (1080p) Quality: Pro Screen HD Projector
When the light is on, there aren’t many projector displays that can provide you with vibrant colors. However, the Pro Screen HD Projector Screen Paint should be considered if you want a projection screen paint that will provide you with the most precise color for your money. It is best for viewing in full HD only, not in 4K.
The ultrahigh titanium dioxide solution is the primary factor in making this paint a projection screen for colors. The paint has a matte, neutral grey finish that blends seamlessly into any space. It looks much more attractive when the borders are thick black.
It comes in quart sizes. One quart of paint will make an 80-square-foot screen. Although it does not have a high gain like other premium models, it may be used if you only want to view 1080p movies. Despite what the manufacturer claims, it is 3D and 4K compatible. I discovered that the outcome of such a resolution isn’t particularly good. Particularly 3D footage appears fuzzy and is not ideal for prolonged watching.
The paint for the projector screen will work on any drywall. Before applying the paint, ensure that the wall is smooth. I recommend applying the paint using a sprayer and a roller, as they will provide an excellent finish.
Paint Color: Light-Grey
Gain value: 2.0
Volume: 1 quart
- It is comparatively inexpensive to the majority of screen paints.
- It is best for viewing in Full HD.
- Unsuitable for UHD and 4K.
Why spend money on expensive paints if you want to use the project screen to view full-HD videos? Instead, choose something affordable like Pro Screen HD Projector Screen Paint.
3). Best Bright Projector Screen Paint: Digital Image Screen Paint Ultra
The projector screen paint from Digital Image offers you an HD option to give you the greatest image possible. You may create a large screen with many areas with the projector screen paint from Digital Image.
One gallon of this paint will cover an area of 16 by 10 feet. This business has a stellar reputation for producing exquisite goods, so you know you’re receiving a high-quality choice. Screen paint from Digital Image, a company renowned for producing trustworthy goods, can satisfy your needs.
I particularly like that this paint is VOC-free, making it safer and odor-free compared to regular screen paint. It offers a rapid application process and enhances screen visibility. Additionally, this paint will allow you to cover a huge area. This paint has a 19-inch diagonal coverage, so you may use it extensively.
This paint is not only incredibly easy to use but also very safe to use. Because you won’t need to make any further purchases, using this product will help you save some money.
Paint Color: White
Gain value: 1.5
Resolution: 1080p (4K compatible)
Volume: 1 gallon
- The paint is in a higher quantity.
- The paint comes in two application methods: rolling and spraying.
- You do not need a primer for this paint.
- The screen gain is low.
- It is expensive.
You need just two coats of this paint to complete the task. This implies that after just one day of painting, your wall will be 50% brighter, and you can start projecting.
4) Best Budget: Digital Image HD Home Theatre
Although Digital Image paint does not have the same expertise in projector screen paint as Paint on Screen, it does have a fair deal of experience in providing items linked to protection. You can easily make a screen that is 16 inches diagonally with one gallon of this screen wall paint. If the projection screen becomes soiled over time, it is just a matter of washing it with soap and water.
When applied correctly, the paint creates a smooth surface that provides a consistent area for color projection. When utilized in ambient light, a 4K picture lacks crystal-clear clarity. The image is sharper, though, when the light is absent.
Additionally, it is one of the few VOC-free projector paints available. As a result, you won’t have to worry about breathing in harmful fumes when applying them. However, for your protection, I still advise wearing masks. It has to be put with a roller on the drywall. Using a sprayer may hinder the full capabilities of the paint to reflect high-quality HD images.
Paint Colour: White
Gain value: N/A
Volume: 1 gallon
- Very simple to use and offers a lot of coverage per gallon.
- Volatile organic substances are free.
- It is suitable for 4K when used with 4K projectors.
- This paint does not require a primer.
- No capability to reflect ambient light.
- Screen gain is low
- It does not function well in 3D.
Digital picture Screen Paint is a far less expensive option, but the projection quality is the catch. It is still a good option if you want to use it for 1080p films and photographs.
5). Best Against Ambient Light: Elite Screen Chroma Flux Paint 5DS2
You will discover that Elite screens are the greatest option out there when looking for projector screens. They provide a variety of displays, all of which are exceptional quality and feature-rich. However, other than the fact that Elite screens provide the lowest paint on the market, there is no other incentive to choose Elite screens when it comes to projector screen paint.
If you compare them all together, this is still a superior choice. Full HD to 4K images may be projected with this. Chroma Flux, however, is insufficient to project 6K and 8K material. Elite Screen has the lowest gain of 1.4 out of all projector screen paints, which implies the image will appear less bright than on other screens.
The ambient light-reflecting qualities of this projector screen paint are present. Even if a room has some light coming from outside sources, it still enables you to watch media in that space with flawless clarity. This screen has the smallest coverage area of all the paint on this list. The amount of paint at your disposal can only be traversed across a diagonal of 140 inches.
This projector screen paint also has two more problems. The first is that it is only offered in one size, 24 oz. Just enough paint is used to cover 140 diagonal inches.
A spray gun should be used to apply the paint. It’s helpful if you can use a spray gun quickly.
Gain value: 1.4
Resolution: 1080p (4K compatible)
Volume: 24 oz
- It has reflective ambient light features.
- It is appropriate for both active and passive 3D.
- It is a less expensive option.
- There is no other technique; it must be sprayed except with the spray gun.
- The paint quantity is too small.
You should engage a professional painter if you don’t know how to utilize a spray gun. You have no choice but to enlist the assistance of a painter since you cannot spend any paint on testing because doing so would further diminish the covered area.
Things to Look Out for When Buying Projector Screen Paint
Before purchasing a projector screen paint, there are several things to consider depending on the screen’s location and intended use. There are many different types of paints; As a customer, you must also be aware of the science involved in reflecting the projected picture. You may comprehend it fully with the aid of this purchase advice.
You may want your projector screen to replicate the results if you have a projector that displays 4K films or photos. The paint’s quality needs to be high so that the surface is smooth and can reflect the images. To watch the videos even in the presence of another light source, it must also have the ability to reflect ambient light. Use paint that supports these new technologies because they are always developing.
A few paints are suitable for projection screen application. The best type of paint for your needs must be chosen because each type has pros and cons.
- Latex Paints: Latex paint is a form of water-based paint that is often employed for painting walls and other surfaces. It is simple to locate and reasonably priced, making it a wonderful choice for individuals on a tight budget. However, latex paint may be challenging to apply uniformly and is less enduring than other forms of paint.
- Oil Paints: For several reasons, these paints are often used for projector screens. Compared to other forms of paint, it provides various benefits, such as a smoother surface and improved fading resistance. Oil-based paint, however, also has certain disadvantages. It is more challenging to work with than water-based paint, and when applied and dried, it can emit toxic fumes into the air.
- Acrylic Paint: Acrylic resin is used to make acrylic paint. A synthetic polymer made from acrylic acid. Because the paint is water-based, it can be diluted with water, and cleaning is simple. You won’t have to wait long between applications since acrylic paint dries rapidly. It might offer strong coverage because of its high pigmentation level. However, utilizing acrylic paint as a projector screen paint has significant disadvantages. The paint may firstly release fumes that are dangerous to breathe in. It may need to be repainted more frequently since it is less durable than latex or oil-based paints.
Ambient Light Properties
You must realize that various things influence a projection’s optics, including the projector’s dimensions, weight, and resolution. Suppose you’re projecting in a bright setting. In that case, it can appear grainy or excessively dark, but there are fixes for both issues, which you’ll need to decide on based on the environment.
I have discovered that reducing the brightness and contrast settings by as much as two-thirds can provide some positive effects. This suggests that you won’t always need as many lumens for your screen. Those who anticipate darker theatres and fewer surfaces or windows will demand fewer lumens than others who anticipate brighter surroundings with plenty of windows and dazzling flooring.
Gain is a different term for the degree of reflection in your projector screen paint. You’ll need to consider this since you want the highest resolution and image quality possible.
You will need to take your projected gain into account. Small projectors typically don’t produce as much light as stronger projectors. To make the pictures appear brighter with a small projector, you must use a high-gain projector screen paint of at least 2.0.
However, less gain is needed when using larger, more powerful projectors. To choose the gain value of the paint, be sure to verify the projector’s specifications.
Mode of Application
Most acrylic and acrylic latex paint for projection screens is water-based paint, which is simpler to apply. However, one must know the proper projector application techniques to have the best-reflecting projector screen. The majority of the product’s manufacturer choices include professional installation help. In other words, they’ll send a professional to paint the screen for you. In general, two coats are required when using high-quality paint. First, apply one coat, then wait for it to dry before adding another.
When choosing the color of the projector screen paint, remember that a white screen will reflect more light than a silver or grey screen. Therefore, a darker projector screen won’t be necessary if your projector doesn’t create a lot of bright light.
However, suppose you have a brilliant projector that produces light over 3000 lumens. You may choose between a white or a grey screen, depending on how bright you want it to be. Remember that while white projector screens have good picture quality, they struggle to portray dark or black areas.
However, you won’t receive as much color brightness as you would with a white screen. Grey projector screens, in comparison, do dark display objects effectively and also give a higher contrast ratio. Therefore, the choice of hue actually depends on you and your preferences.
Frequently Asked Questions
How To Apply Projector Screen Paint?
- Select and Prepare the wall: you will need to prime the wall if your wall’s color and projector screen paint do not match. You must check for any unevenness once you have prepared your wall. Putty should be spread over the screen wall you want to paint on, if necessary.
- Identify where you want to paint: marking the area where the picture would be projected would be the next step. To do this, turn out the room’s lights, turn on the projector, and center the picture on a wall. After you have changed the image’s size, mark the projected area’s edges using a pencil.
- Apply a tape mask to create a border for the screen: the next step would be to add some painter’s tape around the edges once you have outlined the projector screen area’s boundaries. The painter’s tape will guarantee that the painted area is nearly rectangular and contained inside the predetermined space.
- Paint the chosen area: here, you’ll need to be extremely careful to prevent lumps from forming throughout the painting process. Consult a professional if you think it is too much of a big task. Between the areas the painter’s tape has delineated, gently apply the paint. You’ll need two to three coats of paint for the finest effects.
- Remove the tape and apply a screen border: at this point, all that is left is the edge of the projector screen. You could construct a frame from wood strips. To outline the boundary of the projector screen, take off the painter’s tape and affix a velvet tape straight to the wall.
Best Colour For Projector Screen
Most projectors come with white displays by default. A neutral color like grey may be used as an equalizer to improve any image displayed on the screen and reduce some of the glare from brilliantly illuminated images. Choose a rich color like blue or red for darker displays. Because under certain circumstances, those colors will reflect more light than other colors.
What Is The Difference Between Projector Paint And An Ordinary Paint?
Projector paint is made differently from regular paint because it is hard-coated, long-lasting, and washable (not all of them). Additionally, projector paint offers protection to the surface it is put on, an impenetrable barrier that shields surfaces from liquid damage or frequent cleaning because clarity is crucial in screen materials.
The Paint On Screen S1 Ultimate contrast paint should be your top choice for projector screen paint. If you are painting the screen in a more temporary place, you can go in for the Digital Image HD Home Theatre paint. Both paints come at an affordable cost, so you need not worry about the price. These are the best projector screen paints that come recommended.
However, If none of the paints on the list meets your need, ensure to go through the buying guide so that you can pick a high-quality projector paint to suit your needs.