How to Play Youtube Music on Sonos
Sonos products are well-known for their high audio quality when it comes to streaming music or movies. The products support popular music services such as Spotify, Pandora, YouTube Music, etc which can be linked to Sonos devices for a better music experience. With a music service like YouTube Music on your Sonos product, you will have access to your favorite music, playlists, trending tracks, and albums.
If you are wondering how to play YouTube Music on your Sonos device, you have come to the right place. You can play YouTube Music on Sonos by using the Sonos app or AirPlay 2. On your Sonos app, navigate to your Music Services and then add YouTube Music to your Sonos in order to stream YouTube Music on your Sonos device. To play YouTube Music on Sonos using AirPlay 2, you will have to connect your iPhone and Sonos device over the same network and tap on AirPlay to play your music.
As an iPhone user, you can use either the Sonos app or AirPlay to play YouTube Music. If you use an Android smartphone, a better option for you will be to stream YouTube Music through the Sonos app since the android OS does not have AirPlay. There are a few more other steps that are involved in either approach, so continue reading this guide for further details on how to play YouTube Music on your Sonos speakers irrespective of your OS.
Streaming YouTube Music to Sonos
How you stream music from YouTube Music to your Sonos actually depends on which device you are using. You can stream YouTube Music to Sonos devices through the Sonos app or AirPlay.
The interesting thing is that the Sonos app is available on either Android or iOS. AirPlay is however only available on iOS and not Android.
As a result, iPhone users, therefore, have the freedom to choose how they want to stream YouTube Music on Sonos – whether by the Sonos app or AirPlay.
Since Sonos speakers are compatible with AirPlay, you can easily connect your YouTube Music to a Sonos speaker via AirPlay while you browse the music service on your Safari browser.
However, the same can not be said for android devices. Android smartphones normally will connect to speakers via Bluetooth.
The bad news is that Sonos speakers aren’t typically designed to connect over Bluetooth connections. This is a bit problematic if you are an Android user. Your best route then will be to use the Sonos app.
How to Play YouTube Music on Sonos Using the Sonos App on Android or iPhone
The Sonos app allows you to add the YouTube Music service to your Sonos speakers such as the One, Five, One SL, etc.
When YouTube Music is linked to the Sonos app, the Sonos app more or less becomes the hub of your Sonos system where you control your speakers and music.
You can stream your YouTube Music from the app. If you have downloaded music or music files on your phone, you do not have to go to those files before playing them on the Sonos app. You only have to play them straight from your Sonos app you can access those music files directly on the Sonos app.
If you want to play YouTube Music on Sonos via the Sonos app, follow these simple steps:
- Ensure that your Sonos speakers are turned on and connected to your network.
- On your Android smartphone or iPhone, go to Google PlayStore or Apple Store and download the Sonos app.
- Once the Sonos app is installed on your smartphone, launch it and go to Settings.
- Navigate to Services and Voice and then Music and Content.
- Choose Add Music Service and then select YouTube Music.
- Choose Add To Sonos.
- If you have not subscribed to YouTube Music, sign up for an account. However, if you have, then sign in with your account details.
- YouTube Music service will be authorized after you hit Authorize and you will be redirected to your browser to input a code. Input the code that will be displayed for you and hit the Next button.
- Select your preferred Google account and then tap Allow.
- Once your account is verified, name your YouTube Music on the app and you will be good to go.
You will be able to stream YouTube Music on your Sonos speakers after going through these steps.
How to Play YouTube Music on Sonos from a PC
If you are using a PC or Mac, you can use the following steps to play YouTube Music on your Sonos:
- Open the Sonos app on your PC.
- Go to Select a Music Source and then Add Music Services.
- Select YouTube Music from the list of services and then go through the instructions on your screen to add YouTube Music service.
How to Play YouTube Music on Sonos Using AirPlay 2
Besides AirPlay being a bonus for iPhone users when using Sonos products, it is also a way to access the YouTube Music service even if you are not a subscriber.
Here is how to play YouTube Music on Sonos using AirPlay:
- Plug in your Sonos speakers and ensure that your iPhone and speakers are connected your the same network.
- Search for the YouTube video you are interested in and load it.
- Go to your the control panel on your iPhone and the music control box.
- Select AirPlay and choose from the list your preferred Sonos speaker.
- After the speaker connects with your iPhone, you should hear the music playing from the speaker.
Can’t Add YouTube Music to Sonos? How to Fix It.
A number of reasons may account for you not being able to select and add the YouTube Music service on your Sonos.
If you are unable to add YouTube Music to Sonos, it could be that
- the service is not available in your country
- you have not subscribed to YouTube Music’s premium service.
- expired authorization code
- wrong login credentials.
You can fix these issues by:
- Checking to see if YouTube Music is available in your country. YouTube Music is currently available in America, Europe, Asia, Australia, and Africa. Some of the countries include the USA, UK, France, Germany, Russia, Spain, Mexico, Australia, Thailand, Nigeria, South Africa, etc. Although the service is available across the globe, it may not be available in your specific country.
- Editing your Sonos profile. You can edit the country that is linked to your Sonos account if the music service is not available in that country. Simply log in to your Sonos account, go to Profile and then Edit Profile.
- Subscribing to YouTube Music. Although you can play YouTube Music on your Sonos for free, access to most features on the service is limited if you do not have a premium subscription. With a premium YouTube Music subscription, you can listen to music without ads and listen to YouTube Music in the background of your smartphone.
- Ensuring that your authorization code has not expired. You are not able to authorize a YouTube Music account because of an expired code, try to add the service again so that a new code will be generated for you.
- Typing the right username or email and password. This is very important since wrong credentials will not be validated by the service. Take your time to key in your correct credentials and avoid typing errors.
- Switching your smart device with another smartphone. Your original smartphone may just be faulty so you can try the process out on a different smart to see if that will work.
How Long is YouTube Music Free Trial?
YouTube Music does offer a free trial for its new premium subscribers. If you subscribe to YouTube Music and want to play YouTube Music on your Sonos device, you will be given a one-free trial period after which you will be billed.
During the free trial period, you can opt out of your subscription before billing begins. However, you will be ineligible for the free trial if you have been a Youtube Music subscriber for the past 1 year.
YouTube Music is a music service that you can add to your Sonos products. The services allow you to access various music and discover news that is coming on board. After getting connected to the numerous music that this service offers, nothing stops you from playing them on high-end audio devices like Sonos speakers.
If you want to at YouTube Music on your Sonos, you can simply use your Sonos or use AirPlay if use an iPhone.
If you are having issues accessing the service on the Sonos app, the service probably may not be available in your area. But trust me, YouTube Music, unlike most music services has a very wide network coverage so it is very likely that it is available in your country.