DIRECTV Remote Volume not Working (Fixed)
If your DirecTV remote volume is not working, it can be a disadvantage when you want to decrease or increase the volume of your favorite TV program.
Those who are sensitive to loud volumes will find it annoying if they can’t reduce the volume and those who have a hearing problem will also be straining their ears to hear.
A malfunctioning DirecTV remote with volume control problems can be annoying and frustrating.
Here are some potential causes of DirecTV remote volume problems and how to fix them.
Causes of DirecTV Remote Volume not Working and How to Fix It
If you are looking for how to fix the volume problems on your DirecTV remote, then these troubleshooting tips will help you fix it.
Here are the possible causes of DirecTV remote volume control problems.
1). Obstructions Between Receiver
Genie DirecTV remote controls work by sending a signal to the receiver connected to the TV and there must not be obstructions in the way of the signal that will cause the attenuation of the signal or deflect it.
Devices such as microwave ovens, baby monitors, cordless phones, etc will interfere with the signal from the remote to the receiver.
Solution: Remove the Obstructions
Sometimes, something as simple as removing these obstructions can fix the problem. These devices above generate and/or receive signals that are within a similar frequency range as the remote.
Therefore, if any of these devices are around the receiver, they may interfere with the signal from the DirecTV remote. The best way to fix this issue is to put away any wireless device from the receiver.
2). Low Battery
Low batteries is one the most common causes of failed remote in controlling TV volume. If the batteries have been in the remote for a few months, they are properly low in power.
Solution: Replace the Batteries
After eliminating all obstructions in the way of the receiver, the batteries are the next thing to check is the battery strength.
Remove the batteries, hold and press them a little. Mostly, if they are low or dead batteries, they are a bit soft.
Another way to check is by holding and pressing and holding any button on the remote for a few seconds. A green light is an indicator that there is adequate battery strength.
If that is the case, replace them with a new set of batteries.
3). Unresponsive Buttons
Unresponsive buttons are one of the reasons your remote may not be responding to volume control.
This will prevent you from controlling the volume or performing other functions on the remote buttons that are unresponsive.
Below is a video on how to fix unresponsive DirecTV remote buttons.
Fix: Reset Remote and Receiver
If you have a feeling that the cause is unresponsive buttons, then you will need to solve the problem by resetting the remote or receiver.
To do so, below are some steps to follow.
- Find and identify the Red Button on the receiver. Mostly, it’s found on the side or inside the access card door.
- If there is no red button on the receiver. You can still reset it by unplugging the receiver power cable.
- Wait for some time like for about 15 seconds and plug it back in.
- Press and hold the start button to restart the device.
If resetting the receiver does not work, then you can try these other methods below to reset the remote.
- Press the Menu button and go to the settings tab
- Select the Remote-Control menu and choose Pair/Program Remote
- When prompted, enter the 5-digit code for your respective TV manufacturer.
- If you are not sure, please consult the Genie remote official page to find yours.
- Press both Select and Mute buttons at the same time till the light indicator blink three times.
- Press 9-8-1 in the same order and then Select.
- Wait until the remote blink four times and this will indicate a successful reset.
4). Not Programmed Properly
If the remote is not programmed properly, then the remote control will not respond to the volume control. You will face challenges controlling the remote.
Solution: Program the Remote with the Receiver Properly
Reprogram the remote to the receiver. To do so, follow these steps.
- Press and hold the Enter button on your device for at least 3 seconds.
- On the Source Menu, choose the preferred receiver input source.
- Press both the Enter and Mute buttons on your device simultaneously while pointing your remote to your receiver.
- If your device was successfully paired, you should see the Applying IR/RF setup message on your screen.
Re-Program Genie Remote Control
The most convenient way to program your controller on your TV is automatic programming.
- Press both Enter and Mute buttons simultaneously while your controller points to your receiver. Release the buttons once the light indicator on your device turns green twice and flashes.
- You will then receive an applying IR/RF setup on your tv screen, showing you that your setup is ready.
- Press the Menu button on your controller, and then go to the Settings and Help menu.
- Select the setting and then select the Remote Control option.
- Select the Program Pmotely and then follow the on-screen instructions.
If you can’t automatically program your remote on your tv, you can follow the steps below to perform manual programming.
- Select your controller while pointing to your receiver and press the mute button simultaneously.
- Once the light indicator on your device turns green twice and blinks, release the buttons.
- Type 9-6-1 to use your device when prompted.
- Click on the Channel Up button and then click on the Enter button.
- Confirm your choice, then you will receive an on-screen message indicating that your device is ready for setup.
- Follow steps 3 through 5 in Automatic.
In a nutshell, the tips and steps outlined above will help you fix your DirecTV remote volume issues without issues.
Non-working remote volume control is not a major issue that cannot be fixed. But if you still experience problems after the steps above, then you can contact for help to fix the volume issue.