Oprah Winfrey Network, simply put OWN TV is arguably one of the most-watched TV channels in America by fans of African-American drama series in recent times. OWN TV came on the entertainment scene in 2011 and has since then been providing its viewers with exciting reality shows, with the well-known TV talk show host Oprah Winfrey featuring on some of them a couple of times. The channel can now be streamed on almost all streaming devices including Roku, Fire TV, Apple TV, and smart TVs. But, you first have to activate the OWN TV app on these devices before you will be allowed to watch the shows on your TV.
Activating OWN TV on your device is very simple. You can do it all by yourself by simply installing the app on your device and using an activation code to activate it on OWN TV’s website.
You will need to have an active subscription with a TV provider which broadcasts OWN TV before you activate the app otherwise you will only access very limited content on the app. In this guide, I will be taking you through some simple steps you can use to activate OWN TV on your device so keep reading for the finer details on the activation process.
Activate OWN TV On Roku, Fire TV, and Apple TV Using The OWN TV App
If you want to watch OWN TV on your Roku or any other device, the OWN TV app is one of the major things you will need. You may also choose to watch OWN TV through third-party apps like YouTube TV and Hulu which I will discuss later in this article.
However, if you have a subscription with a TV provider which supports OWN TV, activating the OWN TV app and watching the channel via the app is the best option.
The app is free and can be downloaded from the Roku Channel Store, Amazon App Store, Apple App Store, and Google Play Store depending on your device.
What the app will do is it will generate an activation code for you when you are activating it. That activation code is what you will use on the channel’s website to complete the activation process.
You will also be required to sign in with your TV provider’s credentials when activating the app so you should have your TV provider’s username and password ready before attempting to activate the OWN TV app.
How to Activate OWN TV On Roku
The OWN TV app is available on Roku and you can activate it with the steps below in order to stream live TV shows on the channel.
- On your Roku remote, press the Home button and scroll to Streaming Channels.
- Open the Roku Channel Store and type in “OWN TV” in the search bar.
- Select “OWN TV” when you see it and choose Add Channel to install the OWN TV app.
- Open the app on your Roku device after it is installed.
- An activation code will appear on your screen. Note it down as you will be using it to activate the app on the OWN TV’s website.
- With your smartphone or computer, visit https://www.start.watchowntv.com/activate and enter the activation code on the website
- Click Activate and follow the prompts to sign in with your TV provider’s credentials, that is the email/username and password of the account you have with your TV provider.
After you sign in and complete the process, the app on your Roku TV or device will be activated.
You can then stream content on the OWN app and have unlimited access to its live TV shows.
How to Activate OWN TV on Fire TV
On your Fire TV, the OWN TV app can be downloaded from the Amazon App Store. You can follow these if you want to activate the app on your TV:
- Go to the Home screen on your Fire TV and type in “OWN” in the Search bar.
- Select the OWN TV app to download and install it.
- Open the app on your Fire TV after installation.
- You will receive an activation code on your screen. This is what you will be keying in at the channel’s website to activate the app.
- With your computer or smartphone, go to https://www.start.watchowntv.com/activate and enter the activation code that popped up on your TV screen.
- Click Activate and sign in with your TV provider account’s email and password when it is demanded.
Go back to your TV and relaunch the OWN TV app. It will be activated this time and you will have access to the shows and live TV on the app.
How to Activate OWN TV on Apple TV
You can follow the steps below if you want to activate the OWN TV app on your Apple TV:
- Visit the App Store on your Apple TV and type in “OWN TV” in the search bar.
- Select the OWN TV app and Click Install.
- Open the app after its installation.
- An activation code will be displayed on the screen of your Apple TV. Take note of the code and write it down somewhere you can easily access it.
- Go to https://www.start.watchowntv.com/activate on your smartphone or computer and enter the activation code that you wrote down.
- Click Activate and sign in with your TV provider’s credentials when prompted to do so.
The OW app on your TV will be activated after going through these steps and you will be able to stream content using the channel’s app on your Apple TV.
How to Activate OWN TV on Android TV
On your Android TV or any other Android device, the OWN TV channel is available at the Google Play Store. You can download it from there and install it on your device.
Here are the steps to activate the app on your Android TV:
- Go to the Google Play Store.
- Search for OWN TV app in the search bar by typing in “OWN TV”
- Click on OWN TV and click Download to install the app on your device.
- Open the app on your TV.
- An activation will pop up on your screen. Write it down or just keep an eye on it.
- Visit https://www.start.watchowntv.com/activate with your computer and then type in the activation code.
- Click Activate and provide your TV provider’s login details when you are asked.
The app on your TV will then be activated after going through the steps.
OWN TV Activation Code not Working?
Occasionally, you may experience some challenges with the activation code or the OWN TV app which will prevent you from activating the app.
This means missing out on your favorite shows but do not worry since I’m going to be giving you some tips to work around such problems.
The reason your activation code is not working may as a result of:
- Poor internet connection
- Typing error with the activation code
- Wrong login credentials
You can fix these issues by applying these tips and seeing which one works perfectly in your situation.
- Make sure your internet connection is strong. This may require that you reboot your WiFi router or use a LAN cable connected to the internet.
- Restart your app. You can choose to clear the cache and relaunch it again for a new activation code.
- Uninstall the app and reinstall it for fresh code.
- You may restart your streaming device or power cycle the device to clear some technical errors on it.
- Ensure that the OWN TV app is usable in the location you find yourself. The OWN TV app may not work if you are outside the USA.
- Check to see if you made a typing error with the activation code on the website. Simply type the characters the same way they appear on your screen.
- When providing your TV provider credentials, make sure you sign in with the correct email address and password.
- Resubscribe to your local TV provider if your subscription has expired.
Is OWN Free on Roku?
OWN TV is free on Roku provided you have a subscription with a cable or satellite TV provider that broadcasts OWN TV. You will however have to pay your subscription fees to your TV provider.
In case you are not subscribed to a cable TV provider, you can still access free content on the app but it will be very limited. Normally, a lock icon will be displayed next to most videos, telling you that you will have to log in with your TV provider account before you can watch that video. You can stream unlimited content on OWN TV via other digital streaming services such as Hulu with Live TV when you do not have a cable or satellite TV subscription.
These streaming services will offer you a free-trial period when you subscribe to their subscription packages. So you will be able to watch live shows on OWN TV during the free trial period.
Is OWN TV On YouTube TV?
YouTube is one of the digital streaming services that will allow you to watch OWN TV even if you do not have a cable TV subscription.
You only have to subscribe to their package at a cost of $64.99 every month. You will however enjoy some days of the free trial before you will be billed.
Other streaming services that include OWN TV in their packages include Hulu, Philo, DirecTV stream, Discovery Plus, and FuboTV.
OWN TV is available on Roku and most streaming devices and its shows can be accessed from the OWN TV app on the streaming devices. However, to access or stream its shows, you will have to first activate the app.
You will be required to have a subscription with a cable TV provider before activating the app. If you do not have a cable provider, you can subscribe to any other digital streaming services for the channel at a cost.
The channel offer limited free shows to non-TV subscribers so if you want to be able to stream all your favorite shows you should consider activating the app with a TV provider using the steps that I described above for your device.