Are you passionate about buildings or developing a home? If your answer is yes, then Home & Garden Television, popularly known as HGTV is one channel you should definitely include in the list of TV channels on your TV. HGTV is an American-based channel that is famously known for broadcasting shows that are related to home design and garden decorations. Although the channel is currently available on most internet-enabled devices, you will have to activate it first on your streaming device before you can actually watch its shows.
If you are wondering how to activate HGTV on your device, don’t worry anymore since this article is meant to help you do just that.
You can activate HGTV on your Roku, Fire TV, or Apple TV by downloading the HGTV app on your device and activating it with an activation code on HGTV’s website.
That’s simple right? If you are interested to know exactly how you can activate the channel on your specific device, then continue reading this article as I explain in detail how you can activate HGTV on your Roku, Fire TV, Apple TV, and Chromecast.
Activate HGTV On Roku, Fire TV, Apple, and Chromecast using the HGTV App
In order for you to activate HGTV on your device, you should have a local TV provider’s subscription which includes the HGTV channel.
You should also have the HGTV app downloaded and installed on your Roku or preferred device. The app is free and can be downloaded from the app stores of Fire TV, Apple TV, and Roku.
After you install the HGTV app on your streaming device, it will generate an activation code which you will use later on the channel’s website to complete the activation process. Once you are through with the activation process, you will be able to access HGTV’s shows on your device via the app.
You should also have an account with HGTV and ensure that you have a good internet connection before you begin the activation process.
How To Activate HGTV On Roku
It is very easy to activate HGTV on your Roku device. Simply follow the steps below to get the HGTV activated:
- Press the Home button on the Roku remote and scroll to Streaming Channels.
- Open the Roku Channel Store and type in “HGTV” in the search bar.
- Select “HGTV” when it appears on your screen and then click Add Channel. This will install the HGTV app on your device.
- Launch the app on your Roku device after installation.
- An activation code will appear on your screen. Take note of it since you will be using it to activate the app on the website.
- With your computer or smartphone, visit https://www.hgtv.com/activate and enter the activation code you see on your TV screen.
- Click Activate and follow the prompts to sign in with your TV provider’s credentials.
After following these steps, the app on your Roku device will be activated and you will be able to watch the content on the HGTV app.
How To Activate HGTV on Fire TV
If you want to activate HGTV on your Amazon Fire TV, you should use the following steps:
- Go to the Home screen on your Fire TV.
- Navigate to the search bar and type in “HGTV”.
- Select “HGTV” from the app store to download and install the app.
- Open the app on your Fire TV after installation.
- An activation code will appear on your screen. You should take note of this code.
- Visit https://www.hgtv.com/activate on your smartphone or computer and enter the activation code you see on your TV screen.
- Click Activate.
- Follow the prompts to select your TV provider from the list of TV providers.
- Log in with your TV provider’s credentials to complete the process.
The HGTV app on your Fire TV will be activated once your credentials are verified. After the activation process is complete, you will be able to stream content on the HGTV app.
How To Activate HGTV on Apple TV
If you have an Apple TV and want to activate HGTV on your TV, simply follow these steps:
- Go to the App Store on your Apple TV and type in “HGTV” in the search bar.
- Select the HGTV app and Click Install.
- After installation, open the app.
- An activation code will appear on your screen. Write it down since you will be using it later on the channel’s website.
- Go to https://www.hgtv.com/activate on your smartphone or computer and enter the activation code that you see on your TV screen.
- Click Activate and sign in with your TV provider’s username and password on the next page.
The HGTV app on your Apple TV will be activated after going through these steps, allowing you to watch the channel on your Apple TV.
How To Activate HGTV on Chromecast
In case you have a Chromecast and wish to cast or mirror HGTV on your smartphone to your TV, here’s how to do it:
- Go to Google Play Store and download the HGTV app on your smartphone.
- Install the app and then launch it on your smartphone.
- You take note of an activation code that will be displayed on your screen. Possibly write it down for easier reference.
- Now, go to https://www.hgtv.com/activate on your smartphone or computer and enter the activation code on the website.
- Once you are done, Click Activate and sign in with your TV provider’s credentials.
- Insert the Chromecast device to your TV and turn both devices on.
- Go to the App Store on your smartphone and download the Google Home app on your smartphone if you don’t have it already installed on your phone.
- Follow the instructions to set Chromecast up. Ensure that the Chromecast is connected to the same WiFi network as your mobile device
- Open the Google Home app on your Android smartphone and select Chromecast as a New Device.
- Navigate to Cast My Screen and then tap on the Cast Screen icon
- The content on your smartphone’s screen will now be displayed on the TV you connected the Chromecast to.
- Launch the HGTV app on your smartphone and you will be able to stream and mirror the shows on the HGTV app to your TV screen.
HGTV Activation Code Not Working?
It is not unusual for you to face some challenges when you try to activate the HGTV app on your devices. If the activation code you are using to activate the HGTV app is not working, you can try to fix it by using any of these methods:
- Check your internet connection to see if you are disconnected or not. Always ensure a good internet connection on your devices when you want to activate the app.
- Check for typing errors as you enter the activation code. Make sure to type the characters exactly as you see them on your screen.
- Delete your app cache to free up some memory space and relaunch the app.
- Restart your smartphone and TV. You may also have to power cycle your TV by turning it off, unplugging the power cord from its power supply, and then reconnecting it later after some seconds.
- If your HGTV app is outdated, make sure to uninstall it and download the latest version of the app.
- Check to see if your TV provider’s subscription is active. You should resubscribe with your TV provider if your subscription expires before proceeding with the activation process
- Contact the customer support of HGTV if all of the above methods fail to resolve the situation.
How Can I Watch HGTV on Apple TV Without Cable?
Watching the content of the HGTV app on your TV requires that you have a subscription with a cable or satellite TV provider.
However, if you are not subscribed to any TV provider, you still have different options to explore.
Some digital streaming services such as Hulu with Live TV, Sling TV, FuboTV, Philo, DirecTV, YouTube TV, and Video include the HGTV channel in their packages. These services do not require you to have a subscription with a cable TV provider.
You will however have to subscribe to these services for a fee before you can stream HGTV on their platforms.
Their streaming services are also available on your Apple TV, Roku, and most streaming devices.
Does Netflix Have HGTV?
Unfortunately, the HGTV channel is currently not available on Netflix. If you’re a Netflix subscriber and you are looking to watch HGTV, you may have to explore other options with other streaming services
Does Discovery Plus Have HGTV?
Yes, the HGTV channel is available on Discovery Plus.
Discovery included the HGTV channel on the Discovery Plus streaming service in 2021. So, Discovery Plus subscribers can watch all the shows and Live TV streams on HGTV.
How Do I Get Free HGTV on Roku?
Typically, you will have to have a paid subscription with a TV provider before you can access HGTV on your Roku.
However, you can get free access to HGTV live shows during your free trial period with your TV provider or a digital streaming service like YouTube TV or Hulu.
You can also watch some shows for free on HGTV’s website.
What Programs Are On HGTV?
Some of the shows that are available on HGTV’s channel include:
- House Hunters
- Love It or List it
- Flip or Flop
- My Lottery Dream Home
- Fixer Upper
- Good Bones
HGTV is a very good channel for home or real estate lovers. If you love to decorate homes and do not have HGTV TV on your TV channel’s list, you might be missing out on a great deal of fun.
HGTV is available on most streaming devices but will have to activate the HGTV Go app on your device before you can begin to watch its shows.
With the steps that I have explained in the article for activating the app on Roku, Fire TV, Apple TV, and Chromecast, you should find it easier to activate the app on your desired device in order to begin your viewing experience with HGTV as soon as possible.